What is Stress Management Training?
Stress Management Training is a short course which will teach you the techniques to better manage stresses in your life. The aim of the course is not to ‘get rid’ of stress altogether because a certain amount of stress is important in our lives in order for us to achieve our goals. However, you will learn and practise a variety of techniques which can prevent stress from becoming a damaging response.
How does Stress Management Training work?
Stress Management Training is currently offered in our Ross-on-Wye clinic on a 1:1 basis. Your therapist will discuss your personal circumstances in confidence with you during an initial consultation. A series of eight sessions then guide you through a practical process in how to deal with situations which may be causing you to feel stressed.
Stress Management Training works by providing you with a clear understanding of what causes stress and explaining how the techniques demonstrated to you can help in each session.
Each week, the training draws upon a number of elements including:
- Muscular Relaxation Techniques
- Breathing Techniques
- Elements of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Problem-Solving Therapy
- Assertiveness Training
- Time Management
What happens during a session?
Each week, your therapist will take you through Therapeutic Information Giving; allowing you to feel empowered through knowledge to cope with a variety of situations which may be causing you difficulty in life. You will also be guided through a relaxation exercise in each session.
You will receive a copy of each relaxation exercise on CD for use at home in between sessions. Each week, you will have the opportunity to evaluate how you found the exercise from the previous week. Gradually, you will establish which strategies best work for you to take into everyday life and help you to live more calmly and happily.
The relaxation exercises cover the following:
- Passive Progressive Muscular Relaxation
- Active Progressive Muscular Relaxation
- Introducing Relaxed Breathing
- Deep Physical and Mental Relaxation
- The Full Breath and Square Breathing Exercise
- Autogenic Relaxation Training
- Anchoring to Positive Thoughts and Feelings
- Inner Peace and Health
Why do I need an initial consultation?
We treat every client as an individual therefore discussion of health and lifestyle circumstances helps your therapist to ensure that training is tailored to your specific needs. There are some circumstances where training is not advised. In this instance, your therapist may refer you to an alternative professional.
How long does a session last?
Each session is one hour in duration.
How much does a session cost?
Each 1:1 session is £25, however there are a number of special offers available, including 20% off the cost of your first ever session. Please see the information on treatments and prices for further details.
What are the benefits of Stress Management Training?
Stress Management Training can help you to:
- learn how to better cope with stress in your life
- develop more positive, relaxed thoughts
- reduce the occurrence of stress-related illnesses such as Chronic Fatigue, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hypertension
- reduce the occurrence of panic attacks, anxiety and muscular tension
- feel less fatigued, more energised and ready to live life!